A fun recipe for Whole Wheat Dog Treats.
I have a confession to make. I do not enjoy rolling out dough.
My mom always made roll out sugar cookies with my girls because I just didn’t think they were worth the hassle. (Thank goodness for moms with patience, yes?)
So I’ll admit it is a wee bit odd that the time I decide to make cut out “cookies” it’s for my dogs!
You see, I’ve had a dog bone shaped cookie cutter in my drawer for forever.
It was time.
I either needed to use that cookie cutter, or it needed to find a new home.
After a recipe for homemade dog treats came up in my Pinterest stream (oh Pinterest!), I pulled out the cookie cutter and decided to bake for my dogs.
It helped that the recipe only has three ingredients.
To make the treats healthier, I used whole wheat flour. Gotta spread the healthy whole wheat flour love to all my kids – two and four legged.
PEOPLE! This dough is AWESOME for rolling.
I used two pieces of parchment paper and rolled it out between them. I’d say I rolled the dough to about 1/4 inch thick.
Then I cut out the bones AND THEY DIDN’T STICK OR TEAR! Cue the heavenly angels singing.
Check out how easy this recipe is to make. And oh by the way, these treats cost a fraction of what purchasing dog treats at the store does!
Whole Wheat Dog Treats
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 4 ounce jar organic carrot baby food
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine flour, carrot puree, and eggs in mixer bowl. Mix on medium speed until a crumbly mixture forms.
- Add water 1 tablespoon at a time or until the mixture becomes soft and sticky.
- Roll dough between two sheets parchment paper. Cut out with small cookie cutter.
- Transfer cookie cut outs to a greased baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool before serving.
My dogs didn’t even know these whole wheat dog treats were healthy. They loved them.
Since publishing this post, we’ve expanded our family. Meet Wilson! You can follow this blue eyed blonde on Instagram!
It looks like I’m keeping the dog bone cookie cutter!