This recipe for whole wheat apple rose rolls looks really fancy, but when you have the master whole wheat no-knead bread dough made with white whole wheat flour and canola oil in the fridge, it actually comes together quickly.
The smell of this baking is the same exact smell as an apple pie. The smell is heavenly.
These make a lovely addition to a breakfast or a brunch display. Or, top your roses with some homemade whipped cream or vanilla ice cream and serve it for dessert. Either way, it makes an impressive display.
I make this recipe with granny smith apples. This is the variety of apples I use in apple pie. In my humble opinion, I think a tart apple holds up better amongst all the sweet.
The problem with using granny smith is they have green skin. This means your roses don’t have the true red blush of a rose. If you prefer, you can substitute a red skinned apple to make your roses a little more rose-like. Entirely up to you!
- 1/4 recipe master Whole Grain No Knead Bread Dough
- 2 granny smith apples (or red variety if you prefer)
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sucanat (may substitute brown sugar)
- 1 teaspoon homemade apple pie spice
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Core the apples and cut in half. Use a mandolin to slice as thinly as possible.
- Bring 4 cups water to boil with lemon juice and 1/4 cup sugar. Add apple slices and boil for two minutes. The apple needs to be cooked long enough that it will easily bend.
- Drain apple slices and set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, mix together sucanat and apple pie spice.
- Roll dough out into a 13 inch by 9 inch rectangle.
- Spread with softened butter. Sprinkle evenly with 1/3 sucanat and apple pie spice mix.
- Cut dough into 12 strips.
- Cover each strip with apple slices. Sprinkle with another 1/3 sucanat mix. Cover with a second layer of apples. Sprinkle with remaining 1/3 sucanat mix.
- Carefully roll strips up. Place in muffin tin. Repeat with remaining strips until muffin pan is full.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool 5 minutes before removing from muffin tin to cool on cooling rack.
- Do not allow to sit in muffin tin or they will be hard to remove.
Enjoy the apple pie taste in a breakfast roll!