In my video on how to cook and freeze organic pinto beans in the crockpot, I mentioned the beans would be perfect in a burrito bowl. Since I didn’t provide the recipe in that video, I wanted to make sure you had one. You can tailor this recipe to fit your family’s tastes. If you are totally vegan – leave off the cheese or use a cheese substitute. Love sour cream? A big dallop on top of this bowl would taste amazing. And of course you can not go wrong with a big scoop of guacamole!
Here is my quick and healthy recipe for vegetarian burrito bowls:
Vegetarian Burrito Bowls Recipe
- 1 cup brown rice
- 3 cups cooked organic pinto beans
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup diced fresh tomato
- Optional toppings:
- sour cream
- Cook the brown rice according to package directions. (brown rice typically takes an hour to cook - plan accordingly)
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the pinto beans, chili powder and cumin. Warm for approximately 5 minutes.
- In individual bowls, assemble the burrito bowl. Start with a layer of brown rice. Add pinto beans. Top with shredded cheddar, iceberg lettuce and chopped tomatoes.
- Add any of the optional toppings: guacamole, sour cream and/or salsa.