As I mentioned previously, we seem to have a family of snackers. I made Sweet and Crunchy mix to have something that could be easily grabbed and eaten.
I also made a batch of these refried beans to serve as a dip with baked tortilla chips. It too makes a tasty and filling after school snack.
- 3 cups cooked pinto beans
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- juice of 1 lime or 1 lime ice cube
- Puree 1 1/2 cups pinto beans. Set both whole beans and pureed beans aside.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Saute garlic, cumin, chili powder, and coriander until garlic softens but doesn't brown.
- Add both pureed and whole beans to the skillet. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in lime juice and salt. Taste and adjust seasonings.