Our family tradition is to have pancakes every Saturday. We LOVE pancakes. HOWEVER. I do have one problem with them. If they are the white flour traditional kind, I find I am always hungry an hour later. They just don’t fill me up for very long. I need a whole grain breakfast to keep me full.
Enter our favorite Whole Wheat Pancake mix. Full of whole grains that fill you up! It’s an inexpensive, ultra nutritious pancake mix that will last in your fridge or freezer for months! Can I get a Woo Hoo?
Recipe: Whole Wheat Pancake Mix
- 3 1/2 C Oats
- 1 T Cinnamon
- 4 C Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/4 C Sugar
- 3 T Baking Powder
- 1 T Salt
- 1 T Baking Soda
- 3/4 C Canola Oil
For the Pancake Mix:
- Grind pats and cinnamon in food processor or blender until flour-like consistency.
- Transfer oats and cinnamon mixture to a large mixing bowl. Whisk in flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda.
- Stir in canola oil until all ingredients are moist. Mix should clump together when lightly squeezed.
- Pack in airtight container and store in fridge or freezer for months.
To Make the Pancakes:
- Combine 1 cup mix with 1 cup Buttermilk*, 1 teaspoon Vanilla, and 1 egg. Let rest for 15 minutes before cooking on a lightly greased, hot griddle.
- *You can substitute 1/2 C milk combined with 1/2 C plain yogurt for the buttermilk.
If you are keeping the mix in the freezer, I suggest writing the cooking instructions on the label. Then you will know just what to do when it comes time to make the pancakes!