Italian roasted vegetables are perfectly seasoned then cooked at a high temperature in the oven. The result is a flavor-packed, easy side dish recipe.
Maybe one of my most favorite joys of summer is all the in-season vegetables.
I always try to buy my produce in-season for fresher, better flavors.
So, when summer comes around, you will always catch me buying squash and zucchini from the Farmer’s Market.
Even the grocery store will be packed with tender, fresh squash during the summer.
I used to grow zucchini in my backyard garden before we moved to a place without enough sunlight (too many trees!).
But as anyone who has ever tried to grow zucchini knows, those things will grow!
With zucchini, I learned it is best to pick them when they’re smaller for the best flavor.
Even after picking them while they’re small, you may find yourself with more vegetables than you know what to do with.
If you are lucky enough to have these amazing vegetables in your garden, you know you need to keep finding new recipes to highlight these delicious summer squashes!
A lot of times, I will simply grill zucchini.
But when I’m looking to serve a side dish featuring all the great tastes of summer, my Italian roasted vegetable recipe is the perfect recipe!
If your kids are anything like mine, they’ll call me out for repeating a food too often. This sometimes happens when you try to stay in season.
However, they also adore roasted vegetables.
This makes roasted summer vegetables the perfect way to sneak in one more round of your favorite summer flavors and overcome the kid-criticism.
Tasty Italian Roasted Vegetables Recipe
Roasting your zucchini and squash together with the bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, basil, and oregano brings together the perfect combination of flavors to pair with your grilled meat of choice or to layer on top of grain to make an easy bowl!
I love the versatility that you have with seasonal veggies like zucchini and summer squash. And I love the versatility that you have with this dish!
- 1 zucchini, halved and sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 summer squash, halved and sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (16 ounce) package mushrooms, cleaned
- 1 red onion, sliced and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a 9x13 rimmed baking sheet. Place vegetables on baking sheet.
- Pour olive oil over the vegetables. Lightly toss the vegetables to evenly coat.
- Sprinkle with dry seasonings and toss again.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes based on your preference for tenderness.
- Immediately after pulling vegetables out of the oven, toss with the optional Parmesan cheese if using.
I hope you enjoy this dish as much as my family does!