Muffin tin egg sandwiches are easy to whip up then freeze. Perfect for mornings when you are on the go.
I recently posted on my Facebook page that I was spending an hour making a bunch of freezer breakfasts for my daughter who has to be at work at 5 am this summer.
She’s been an absolute trooper about getting herself up and out the door in the morning.
Since I am still in bed at that hour, I wanted to have some healthy options for her that wouldn’t take a lot of time in the morning.
These Muffin Tin Egg Sandwiches are super easy to prepare.
Muffin Tin Egg Sandwiches
You start by cracking one egg into each muffin cup.
Once you’ve filled all 12 cups, lightly scramble the eggs. No need to go crazy, you are just looking to break up the yolk.
It’s optional, but we always add a tablespoon of grated sharp cheddar cheese to our eggs.
Plus, we really like to add about a tablespoon of green chiles. Again, it’s an optional ingredient.
Being from Colorado, we take our green chile pretty seriously. I buy the huge jars of 505 Southwestern Hatch Green Chile at our Costco. It’s out of this world good and makes these egg sandwiches so tasty!
If you can’t find it in your Costco, you can find it here.
Okay, enough about my love of green chile.
Keep reading on for more suggestions on egg additions!
You are now ready to bake your eggs. They bake up super light and fluffy.
While the eggs are baking, you need to be cooking your bacon and slicing your English muffins.
Finally, once everything has cooked, you assemble your sandwiches.
I use one strip of bacon, torn in half, on each sandwich. Then I wrap them tightly in foil and slide them into a freezer safe bag.
I know I don’t have to tell you this – but don’t heat the sandwich in the foil, k?
We use foil because once the sandwich has been microwaved, it can be rewrapped for eating on the road and the foil helps keep it warm. Then it can be tossed in the recycling bin.
Here’s a super awesomesauce picture of how I freeze them. Ok, terrible picture but you totally get the idea now, right?
That’s it! It only takes about 30 minutes to complete 12 sandwiches!
Muffin Tin Egg Sandwiches Freezer Recipe
- 1 dozen large organic eggs
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese grated
- salt and pepper
- optional: green chilis
- 12 slices bacon
- 12 whole wheat English muffins
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Crack one egg into each cup of a muffin tin. Lightly beat each egg.
- Add approximately one tablespoon of cheese to each egg. Season eggs with salt and pepper.
- Optional: Add 1/2 tablespoon green chilis to the eggs.
- Bake eggs for 18-20 minutes or until set.
- While eggs bake, fry bacon slices. Allow to drain on paper towels before cutting in half.
- Split open English muffins.
- When eggs are finished and slightly cooled, run a knife around the edges of each egg. Pry egg loose and place on an English muffin. Top with two halves of bacon. Replace muffin top.
- Wrap breakfast sandwich in tin foil. Place in freezer safe bag and freeze for up to 6 weeks.
- To reheat: place sandwich in microwave and cook for 1 to 1/2 minutes.
CHANGE IT UP:
Instead of green chile and cheddar, switch it up and try adding any of these:
- sun dried tomato
- sauteed spinach
- roasted red pepper
- green onion
- sauteed onion
- herbs such as basil or chives
- add fresh avocado before serving
I love having quick and easy meals in the freezer, don’t you?