The versatility of these Mexican Meatloaf Cupcakes with Guacamole Frosting is what I love best about this recipe.
Other than the taste, that is. What I really love is the taste!
Things to love about this recipe:
First, the recipe as it stands makes 15 cupcakes. If you have little eaters in your house, then you have plenty to freeze.
To Freeze Cupcakes: After baking, allow to cool. Place on a waxed paper lined baking sheet. Freeze for 1 hour before transferring to a freezer safe container.
To Bake Cupcakes From Frozen: No need to thaw. Add an additional 10 minutes to cooking time. Internal temperature should get to 165 in the center.
Next, the way this recipe is written, it is Paleo, Grain-Free, and 21 Day Sugar Detox Friendly. If you eat grains, you could easily add one and a half cups of breadcrumbs, or even quinoa, to the mixture and stretch the number of cupcakes you get from 15 to 18 – 20. This definitely gives you plenty to freeze!
Finally, the fact these are cupcake sized instead of bread pan sized means they cook up in half the time. Such a great way to get dinner on the table fast!
Guacamole topped anything makes me happy. Quickly topping something with guacamole makes me even happier.
I used a store bought guacamole for my cupcakes. Again, this is a time saver for me. If you have ripe avocados, by all means make up a batch of homemade guacamole. However, sometimes ripeness and the desire to cook a recipe don’t always coincide.
Mexican Meatloaf Cupcakes with Guacamole Frosting
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 4.5 ounce can diced green chiles
- 2 carrots grated
- 1 red pepper grated
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 pound ground beef
- Guacamole homemade or store-bought
- Preheat oven to 400. Grease muffin pans.
- In a skillet, saute onions and garlic until translucent. Allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix tomato paste with chili powder, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper.
- Stir in carrots, red pepper and chiles.
- Add beaten eggs and ground beef. Mix well with your hands.
- Evenly divide beef mixture between 15 muffin cups.
- Bake at 400 for 30 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165.
- Once baked, remove from oven and top with guacamole. You can pipe it to make it look like frosting, or you can just dollop it, depending on your time.
Have you made meatloaf cupcakes before?