My favorite way to use my Whole Grain No-Knead Bread Dough master recipe is to make my own frozen pizzas.
You can make the Whole Grain No-Knead Bread Dough with different flours and oils. My recommendation for frozen pizza crusts is to use 100% white whole wheat flour and olive oil. It makes such a good pizza crust!
However, if your family hasn’t fully embraced whole wheat baked goods, use 2 cups unbleached organic all-purpose flour and the other 4 1/2 cups use whole wheat or white whole wheat flour. This should give them a texture and taste they can embrace as you slowly convert them.
To freeze these pizzas, I buy foil pizza pans. You can use these over and over with just a careful washing in between. However, you can NOT use a pizza cutter on these. It will cut right through. So be sure you transfer your pizza to a cutting board before cutting.
Start with the Whole Wheat No-Knead Bread Dough master recipe. One batch makes enough dough for 4 pizza crusts, so I make 4 frozen pizzas at a time. After all, once you have all that flour on the counter, you may as well keep rolling, right?
Speaking of flour on the counter, be sure to check out my favorite Flour Shaker tool for doing that!
1. Use 1/4 of the Whole Wheat No-Knead Bread Dough master recipe per frozen pizza. Start by rolling out your crust and brushing it with olive oil.
Once your crust is ready, you bake it. Baking your crust by itself prior to freezing is the secret to making your own frozen pizza.
2. Bake your crust at 425 for 12 – 15 minutes. Check your crust as it bakes and pop any bubbles so you don’t have a bumpy pizza.
3. Allow your pizza crust to cool, then layer on your favorite toppings.
If you don’t make your own pizza sauce, Eden Foods Organic Pizza Sauce is our family favorite.
Now your pizza is ready to go into the freezer.
4. To protect your pizza while it is frozen, the key is to first wrap it tightly with plastic wrap. Then wrap it tightly with aluminum foil. The double wrapping will keep your pizza from freezer burn.
I like to write the baking instructions on the foil of the pizza. That way, anyone in my family knows how to cook the pizza.
5. Add the baking instructions:
Bake at 425 for 15 to 20 minutes depending on your oven. Bake on center rack.
Making your own frozen pizzas allows you to control the toppings and to have your family’s favorite combinations ready to go on nights when you need dinner on the table in a hurry.
Plus, when you make your own Homemade Frozen Pizza you get unexpected texts like this:
You definitely don’t get those when the pizza comes out of a box!