Cardboard and plastic eggs cartons can simply be thrown in the recycling bin. But why? When they can have such a purposeful second life? Be sure to wash them thoroughly – especially if you plan to use them for food items!
1. Place delicate ornaments in cushioned egg cartons to store safely.
2. The cups are the perfect size to hold mini-muffins, truffles, small cookies or cut brownies. Decorate the carton to present as a holiday gift.
3. Use them to cushion gifts when mailing them for the holidays.
4. Plastic egg cartons can be used as extra ice trays. Handy during party season.
FOR USE WITH KIDS
5. Fill each cup with a different treat – nuts, crackers, raisins, etc. – and take a snack to go!
6. Fill a cardboard egg carton with dryer lint. Melt wax from old candles in a double broiler. (you may want to use a coffee pan in a pot of water to save on clean up). Pour the melted wax over the dryer lint. (feel free to add a bit of cinnamon stick or dried orange peel to add a delightful scent.) Cut cups apart and use to help light a fire.
7. Turn them over and use them as taco shell holders. This makes building tacos simple and kid-friendly!
8. Stacking, sorting, building, imaginative play with small toys – egg cartons can provide hours of fun for a little one!
9. Fill each egg carton hole with a little paint for easy clean-up!
FOR USE AROUND THE HOUSE
10. Store your jewelry in them! My earrings have found a great home in an old egg carton.
11. Collect cardboard egg cartons to start seedlings. Cut cups apart and poke a small hole in the bottom. Fill with organic potting soil and a seed. When ready to be planted, there is no need to take out of the egg carton cup. Simply cut the bottom out with scissors and plant in the ground!
12. Organize your office supplies. Rubber bands, paper clips, brads can all be corralled in an egg carton.
Apparently I couldn’t stop at just 10 uses! What other uses have you found?
Linked up to Simple Lives Thursday
FREE CHEAT SHEET
Sign-up for our weekly newsletter and download the Organic Price Comparison Cheat Sheet FREE! You’ll also get our natural, green lifestyle tips and tricks delivered to your inbox each Sunday, complete with deals too hot to miss. Don’t like it? No problem. You can unsubscribe in a click.