How to Grill Zucchini
Grilled Zucchini is so simple to make but the taste is out of this world delicious. When your garden becomes overrun with squash, this is a great way to cook it and use it up!
If you are looking for the simplest way to cook up a bunch of zucchini, look no further than your grill. Zucchini grills up easily and results in a tasty side – or even main – dish.
How to Grill Zucchini
- Cut the zucchini to about a 1/2 inch thickness either on the diagonal into large rounds, into triangular pieces, or into lengthwise pieces. If you are slicing your zucchini, I suggest using a mandolin for uniform pieces.
- There is no need to peel the zucchini or remove the seeds. Peeling is a personal preference.
- Heat the grill to medium high heat.
- Mix 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil with 2 cloves of minced garlic.
- Brush the zucchini with the olive oil and garlic mixture.
- Put the slices directly on the preheated grill.
- Cook until brown on all sides – about 5 – 7 minutes per side. Zucchini should be tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
This is a basic grilling recipe that results in great flavor every time.
However, there may be times when you want to add a bit of a flavor boost to your zucchini before cooking it.
Optional Flavor Boosts for Grilling Zucchini
- Add finely chopped onion and parsley to the olive oil and garlic.
- Or, add finely chopped rosemary and oregano to the olive oil and garlic.
- Or, add about 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar to the olive oil and garlic.
- Omit olive oil and garlic. Mix approximately 1/4 cup miso with a splash of mirin and a tablespoon of sugar. Mix well and baste zucchini during grilling.
- After grilling, you can brush zucchini with a mixture of lemon juice and finely chopped mint.
- While zucchini is still hot, grate fresh Parmesan cheese over it.
Grilled zucchini is excellent served hot directly off the grill. However, if you end up with leftovers, stuff into a pita with some hummus for a delicious sandwich the next day.
Have a favorite way to serve grilled zucchini? I’d love to hear it!
FREE CHEAT SHEET
Sign-up for our weekly newsletter and download the Organic Price Comparison Cheat Sheet FREE! You’ll also get our natural, green lifestyle tips and tricks delivered to your inbox each Sunday, complete with deals too hot to miss. Don’t like it? No problem. You can unsubscribe in a click.