How to cook spaghetti squash in a slow cooker.
Did you know it was possible to cook spaghetti squash in a slow cooker?
This makes one of my favorite vegetables so much easier to prepare!
How can you not love a recipe where you spend two minutes prepping at 8 am, go about your business for the day, then come back at 5 pm and you have beautifully cooked dinner?!?
Maybe my favorite part of this cooking method is you do NOT need to cut your squash in half prior to cooking.
Trust me, that is reason enough to try this method!
Spaghetti squash can be near to impossible to cut in half. Those suckers are HARD.
There are a few things I learned by trial and error about this method of cooking squash.
First, by the end of 8 hours, my slow cooker will be almost out of the water.
If that happens, your squash will start to brown on the side that is touching the bottom.
DO NOT let your squash cook any longer than 8 hours or you may end up with a burnt mess.
Next, if your slow cooker tends to “spit” hot water during cooking, you can lift the lid, carefully add a bit more water, and return to cooking it. I’ve done this and it didn’t affect the cooking of the squash.
I happen to own 2 different slow cookers.
This is the slow cooker I use to cook my spaghetti squash. I love the oval shape because the squash fits inside perfectly.
So how do you cook spaghetti squash in the slow cooker?
- Use a sharp knife to poke several holes in the spaghetti squash.
- Add the whole squash and two cups water to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Carefully remove squash from slow cooker. Cut in half and scrape out seeds. Use a fork to separate squash into strands.
Serving your family spaghetti squash has never been easier!
(If you want a printable version of this recipe, scroll to bottom).
I decided to do a little Facebook Live to show you just how simple this is! Plus, you get to see what a dork I am. 🙂
- 1. Spaghetti Squash
- Use chef knife to cut slits into the squash.
- Add squash to slow cooker. Pour in 2 cups hot water.
- Cook on high for 4 hours.
- Carefully remove squash from slow cooker. Cut in half, remove seeds, and serve squash strands.