When you need a quick and easy appetizer or lunch, hot dogs wrapped in whole wheat bread dough can be a life saver.
Hot dogs and sausages freeze well, so I like to have a pack in my freezer to pull out for days when I need to get something on the table fast. Since I keep a recipe of my master whole grain no-knead bread dough in the refrigerator at all times, I always have the ingredients on hand to be able to make this recipe.
You can use any kind of hot dog in this recipe. Turkey, veggie, beef, or even a sausage works. If you are trying to limit your intake of processed foods, at a minimum you want to make sure whatever brand hot dog you choose is free of nitrates. My preference is for Applegate Farms Organic Uncured hot dogs.
For Halloween, why not turn your hot dogs wrapped in bread dough into Mummy Dogs! To create Mummy Dogs, simply leave a bit of the top of the hot dog unwrapped and add some mustard eyes! Now you’ve got something quick, easy and festive to feed your little ghosts and ghouls before sending them out to trick-or-treat!
- 1 pkg of 8 nitrate-free hot dogs (may use turkey, veggie or tofu dogs)
- 1/4 master recipe whole wheat no-knead bread dough
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Roll bread dough out into a long rectangle. Cut the dough into 8 long strips.
- Starting at the bottom, wrap the hot dog in the bread dough.
- Place wrapped hot dogs on a baking sheet and bake for 15 to 17 minutes.
I’ve confessed in the past I love Heinz Organic Ketchup. And I can tell you first hand these are quite delicious dipped in it!