Homemade Whole Wheat Pumpkin Shaped Dinner Rolls are so much fun to make! And they are soooooo simple to do!
Start with the whole grain no-knead bread dough recipe. You will only need 1/4 of the master recipe to make 8 rolls. Need more rolls? Use more of the dough!
When I made up the dough for this, I used white whole wheat flour and canola oil. Olive oil would have been good, but I was imagining these as a cute addition to a Thanksgiving dinner where a more neutral flavored oil might work best.
These are basically just rolls where you make a few snips around the side with a pair of kitchen shears. I decided I liked 5 to 7 snips and that the smaller the snip, the more pumpkin effect.
Of course, if you have kids in your house, this is the perfect project to let them help you. Rolling dough balls, small snips and adding the pecan stem are all activities your kids can help do.
- 1/4 recipe whole grain no-knead bread dough
- pecan halves
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a large ball.
- Cut ball in half. Cut each half in half. Cut each piece in half one more time so you have 8 equal pieces of dough.
- Roll each piece of dough between hands to shape into a ball.
- Place balls onto a silpat lined or lightly greased baking sheet.
- Using kitchen shears, snip each ball about 5 times around the edges leaving the center intact.
- Coat a piece of plastic wrap with cooking spray. Cover rolls and allow to rise about 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Beat egg with 1 tablespoon water. Brush egg wash over the top of rolls.
- Cut pecans in half. Stick pecan half out of top of roll to form your pumpkin stem.
- Bake rolls for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden.