I finally found a Homemade Whole Wheat Pie Crust recipe that really delivers in both taste and ease of recipe.
As much as I try to make meals from scratch and forgo processed foods, pie crust is one thing I typically will buy. Pie crust really isn’t hard to make – I just don’t like rolling things out. It’s messy. It’s sticky. It can be frustrating. And my crusts are never really pretty.
However, the holidays are the exception. Finishing a really great homemade holiday meal with a homemade flaky whole wheat crust just seems fitting. And no matter how my crust looks, I assure you it tastes amazing! In fact, I served this whole wheat pie crust in an Apple Cider Pie to 10 adults – not one knew it was whole wheat!
This recipe calls for whole wheat pastry flour and real butter. Do not substitute anything else for these two ingredients. And of course, if you go through the trouble of making a homemade pie crust, only top it with homemade whipped cream.
If you don’t already cook with whole wheat pastry flour – it is an awesome whole food ingredient to have in your pantry. Whole wheat pastry flour is lighter than regular whole wheat flour, so it bakes more like an all-purpose white flour – making it easier to substitute in your recipes that call for all purpose flour.
To buy whole wheat pastry flour inexpensively, I suggest you use your $10 Vitacost Rewards to order some.
The recipe below calls for a food processor. No food processor, just use your hands!
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/8 tablespoon salt
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 6 to 8 tablespoons ice water
- In the working bowl of a food processor, add the flour and salt.
- Cut the butter into slices and add to the work bowl. Pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- *If no food processor, use a pastry blender or even your hands to cut in butter.
- Slowly add ice water one tablespoon at a time. Pulse after each addition until dough sticks when pressed together.
- Form dough into a ball, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes before rolling.
Do you already make your own pie crusts? Have you made a whole grain pie crust before?
FREE CHEAT SHEET
Sign-up for our weekly newsletter and download the Organic Price Comparison Cheat Sheet FREE! You’ll also get our natural, green lifestyle tips and tricks delivered to your inbox each Sunday, complete with deals too hot to miss. Don’t like it? No problem. You can unsubscribe in a click.