Do you make your own homemade pumpkin pie spice? I’ll bet you have the four spices needed to make pumpkin pie spice in your cupboard already. All you need are cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg. Blend these spices together, and this pumpkin pie spice recipe can be used as a substitute in any recipe calling for pumpkin pie spice.
I’ve tailored this recipe so it is just the right amount to fit in a 1.87 ounce bottle. You know the ones – the taller size at the grocers. I typically buy my spices in a glass bottle. When I run out of a spice, I simply remove the label, wash the jar, then whip up my own spice mixes for a fraction of what it would cost to keep buying specialty spices.
TO USE IN PUMPKIN PIE, USE 2 1/2 TEASPOONS PUMPKIN PIE SPICE TO EVERY 1 1/2 CUPS MASHED PUMPKIN.
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- In a small bowl, stir all ingredients together.
- Carefully pour into a tight sealing bottle.
The beauty of making your own spice blends, is you can tailor it to your family’s taste. My grandmother’s pumpkin pie recipe is heavy on the cloves, so I always double the cloves in my homemade pumpkin pie spice.
Other than in pumpkin pie, how can you use homemade pumpkin pie spice?
- Sprinkle on baked sweet potatoes
- Add to waffle or pancake batter
- Use to flavor homemade granola
- Add to sugar cookies
- Sprinkle on your coffee to make your own pumpkin spice coffee
- Make yourself a Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Bake Pumpkin Spice Donuts
- Add to your homemade or store bought applesauce
- Spread a bagel with cream cheese, drizzle with honey, sprinkle with pumpkin pie spice
How will you use your homemade pumpkin pie spice?