Happy National Donut Day!
Instead of hurrying out and buying a box of “Fat Pills” (as we call them in our house), why not try out this homemade baked strawberry donut recipe with a hint of orange?
I won’t lie and tell you this is a health food recipe. However, these donuts are made with real ingredients such as whole grains, real fruit puree and natural sweetener. Then, they are baked, instead of fried, which definitely saves your waistline.
Each of these donuts has about 184 calories. Compare that to a Frosted Dunkin Donuts Strawberry Dream Donut at 360 calories!
That should be your incentive to invest in some baked donut pans. They don’t take up much room in the cupboard and they are super useful for satisfying your donut cravings in a healthy way.
Traditionally, I’ve made this recipe with orange zest. However, I didn’t happen to have an orange on hand when I got the craving to make these.
That’s when I remembered I had a bottle of wild orange essential oil.
I substituted 3 drops of the wild orange for the orange zest and the recipe turned out amazing!
In the recipe, I’ve included the recipe for the glaze I used on these donuts. Truthfully? It made the donuts on the sweet side for me. But the kids? They LOVED it!
Mind you, I still ate the donuts with the glaze. I just found that a cup of coffee was the PERFECT accompaniment!
Homemade Baked Strawberry Donut Recipe
- 1 1/4 cups halved strawberries
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 teaspoons orange rind or 3 drops wild orange essential oil
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup organic all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a blender.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Pour in strawberry mixture and stir just until combined.
- Spoon batter into baked donut pan. Recipe makes 12 donuts.
- Bake at 400 for 10 - 15 minutes. Donuts are done when they spring back when lightly touched.
- Allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- Once cool, you can choose to glaze them with a mixture of 3 strawberries blended with 1 cup organic powdered sugar.
With the calories you are saving by baking your own donuts, may I suggest you have one for breakfast and one mid-afternoon?