This recipe works for a Meatless Monday, but it’s also great as a side with a grilled steak. (I served it as a side to a buffalo flank steak.) Full of veggies, it does require some prep work. However, you can fix it up the night before, then just throw on the grill the next day.
Grilled Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 to mato chopped
- 1 pkg frozen spinach thawed and squeezed of excess moisture
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 6 oz jar marinated artichoke hearts
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 large portobello mushrooms
- 2 T olive oil
- Peel eggplant and slice into 1/2 inch thick slices. Lay out on a paper towel and sprinkle lightly with salt. Allow to sit for 30 minutes.
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Rinse salt off eggplant and chop into bite-size pieces. Add to boiling water and boil for 5 minutes. Drain.
- In a large bowl, combine eggplant, chopped tomato, spinach, balsamic vinegar, minced garlic, and artichoke hearts - including marinade liquid - and Parmesan cheese. Stir to combine. Set aside. Can be refrigerated overnight at this point.
- Preheat grill to 400 degrees.
- Wipe portobello mushrooms, remove stem, and scrape out gills with a spoon. Brush both sides with olive oil.
- Stuff portobello mushrooms with eggplant mixture.
- Grill for 12 minutes with lid closed. Serve immediately.