This recipe for Golden Carrot Bake makes a hearty side dish. I’m serving it as the side dish to the broiled tilapia on my Costco meal plan.
When developing my weekly meal plan, I chose fish for Friday out of respect for any/all celebrating the Lenten season.
I broil the tilapia with a bit of lemon juice. And if I have any lemon pepper I might sprinkle a bit of it on too.
When planning meals, I often find that making one dish that requires prep work combined with one dish that requires minimal prep work helps my dinners come together quickly.
Plus, it saves on dishes. Which is truly what is important!
Golden Carrot Bake is a substantial whole food side dish that makes a nice compliment to a simple main dish.
Golden Carrot Bake
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2/3 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- Combine carrots, water, brown rice, salt and pepper in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover. Cook for 25 minutes - do NOT drain.
- During the last 5 minutes of cooking, preheat oven to 350.
- Stir in cheese, milk, eggs and onion. Transfer to a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Bake for one hour.
Have you ever tried a recipe like Golden Carrot Bake?