When I shared my Peppermint Tea Recipe, I had several comments and questions about loose leaf tea. Many didn’t realize you can purchase loose leaf dried peppermint and that it is the only ingredient needed to make peppermint tea.
Did you know you can easily make your own herbal tea by drying peppermint at home?
As summer comes to an end, I’m drying my peppermint to be able to make peppermint tea from the plants I grew. Anyone who has ever grown mint knows it grows like a weed, so I have plenty to be able to dry!
This method of drying peppermint assumes you don’t have a dehydrator.
To Dry Peppermint:
- Rinse leaves and shake them dry to avoid bruising. (I actually used my salad spinner to rinse and spin dry.)
- Snap only the best leaves off the stems. Leaves that are yellowed or that have brown spots should not be dried.
- Line a jelly roll pan with paper towels.
- Lay the leaves on the paper towel. The leaves should not touch.
- Once you have the first layer, you can cover it with another towel layer and another layer of leaves.
- Turn the oven on it’s lowest setting (mine is 100 degrees). Transfer your pan with the layers of leaves onto the middle rack of the oven.
- Allow to several hours, checking often.
You’ll know the leaves have properly dried when they are crispy and break easily. Now they are ready to be stored. You’ll want to store your dried peppermint leaves in an airtight container.
- Do not dry herbs in the sun. The sun leeches out some of the flavor and color of the herbs.
- For best flavor, do not select leaves from plants that have gone to flower.
- Mint is subject to mold, so make certain you’ve thoroughly dried it.
As your growing season comes to an end, will you be drying your herbs to preserve them?
“The GBG: It Works for Me” is a weekly series all about that thing you’ve started doing that you’d wish you’d known you should be doing all along.
Solutions, quick tips, and shortcuts. Time savers and sanity savers. It’ll all be right here.
Have a solution, tip, or time saver of your own? Let me know by filling out this form, I’ll try it then share it!