This Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe is a snap to make when you have the ingredients on hand.
I did a batch cooking day on Sunday and made organic chicken and chicken stock.
Since the cooked chicken and chicken stock were ready to go in the fridge, I could easily assemble this soup.
I think everyone needs a simple recipe like this for busy nights, or nights when you are just too tired to cook. This Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe fits the bill.
- 6 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- olive oil
- garlic clove
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 lime or 1 lime ice cube
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large saucepan. In batches, fry tortilla strips.
- Add additional olive oil to the pan. Saute onions and garlic until onions are translucent. Add chicken broth, salsa and lime juice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and add chopped chicken. Allow to simmer for 7 minutes.
- Ladle soup into 4 bowls. Top with fried tortilla strips and shredded cheese.
If you have an avocado or some sour cream, they make really delicious toppings too!