This chicken, peas and rice casserole is pure comfort food. It combines two basic ingredients – chicken and rice and transforms them into something I think your whole family will love. It’s easily made from staples purchased off my Costco shopping list.
One of my secrets to brown rice is to cook up a large batch at the beginning of the week. It takes about an hour to cook whether you make 2 cups or 8 cups. If you make the larger batch, it is easy to have a simple side dish of buttered brown rice, or to use it as a base for recipes like this one or something like Chicken Fried Rice.
Once you start using some of these shortcuts, eating a whole grain, whole food diet becomes easy.
Chicken, Peas and Brown Rice
- 1 lb chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cups frozen peas thawed under cold water
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9 x 13 pan.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until onion is translucent.
- Add peas and rice and cook an additional two minutes. Remove to a large bowl.
- Stir together eggs, milk, cheese, salt, and Tabasco. Add to rice and pea mixture and stir until combined.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In skillet, brown the chicken about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Spread the peas and rice evenly in the prepared 9 x 13 pan. Arrange chicken on rice mixture.
- Bake chicken and rice for 30 minutes.