This recipe for Cheeseburger Soup is a HUGE family favorite!
Even if you aren’t following my meal plan, you must try this recipe for cheeseburger soup!
My daughters ask me to make this all the time, and if you are having a bunch of kiddos over, this is one recipe that you can feel good about serving. They will gobble it up!
There are two ways to prepare this soup recipe. First, cook it on your stovetop like a traditional soup.
Or, if you are strapped for time, you can cook it in the slow cooker.
We like to go to matinee movies on the weekends (because it is cheaper than the evening showings!)
I’ll put this in the slow cooker first thing in the morning. Then, when we get home from our show, all I have to do is toss a big salad and dinner is served.
It’s basically dinner and the movies but you only have to pay for the matinee! Winning!
I didn’t add it to the recipe, but if you are a pickle lover, try chopping up some dill pickles and stirring them in! It just adds so much to that cheeseburger taste!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups diced potatoes
- 2 cups water or broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2/3 pound ground beef
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons oat flour
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add onion and saute until translucent.
- Add diced onions, potatoes, water, salt, pepper, and celery. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- While soup cooks, brown ground beef. Drain.
- Whisk the oat flour into the milk until smooth. Add to soup, stir constantly, and cook until thickened.
- Add ground beef and shredded cheddar. Serve.
SLOW COOKER INSTRUCTIONS: Brown ground beef in skillet on stove. Add onions, potatoes, water, salt, pepper, celery and ground beef to a slow cooker. Cook on low 6-8 hours. Whisk oat flour into milk until smooth. Add milk mixture and cheese to slow cooker. Stir and cook an additional 30 minutes.
Don’t eat meat? The base of this recipe is just a potato soup – so leave it out. Then it becomes a meatless main.