One of my favorite appliances for creating whole foods for my family is my bread machine. If you have a bread machine, try these Honey Whole Wheat Soft Pretzel Bites and you will quickly find out why. They are fun to make and the “hard” part of the recipe – the proofing of the yeast and the rising of the dough – are taken care of for you. Simply put the ingredients in the bread machine, set it on dough cycle, and in less than two hours you have the perfect dough!
Recently, Lisa asked this question on my Facebook Page:
I love my Zojirushi. I’ve had it for 13 years and I give it a work-out! I know that you can get cheaper bread machines. However, this is the one I have, so I can only attest to it’s wonderfulness!
Hints for getting the most out of your bread machine:
- Even though you are using a bread machine, you are still baking! That means you need to be meticulous in your measurements. Make sure you Measure Your Flour the right way every time to get the best results.
- If you aren’t getting great results with your bread machine, use the dough cycle and bake it in the oven. The dough cycle allows you to add more flour or water if need be before baking. Plus, you can use a thermometer in your oven to ensure the correct temperature setting.
These pretzel bites use White Whole Wheat flour. Have you baked with it before? It is lighter in taste than Whole Wheat Flour, but has the same nutritional punch. If you’ve never baked with it before, grab a bag! In the recipe, I use half all purpose flour and half white whole wheat. However, you can make this with all white whole wheat flour, the texture will just be heavier.
Now, if you haven’t used your bread machine in a while, now is the time to pull it out and use it to make Honey Whole Wheat Soft Pretzel Bites.
- 9 ounces water
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups organic unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 quarts water
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- coarse salt
- Add water, both flours, honey and yeast to the bread machine pan in the order suggested by your bread machine manufacturer.
- Select dough setting.
- When dough cycle is complete, turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Divide dough into 8 equal balls. One at a time, roll balls into a 20 inch rope. Cut rope into 1/2 inch pretzel bites. Repeat until all dough has been cut into bites.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a saucepan, bring water and baking soda to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Drop pretzels a few at a time into water and poach for just 10 - 15 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Place pretzel bites onto a large, greased baking sheet.
- Beat egg and water together. Brush tops of bites with egg wash then sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 8 - 10 minutes or until golden brown.
These need to be stored in an airtight container. Although in my house, they disappear so quickly, I’ve never had to store them in anything!
FREE CHEAT SHEET
Sign-up for our weekly newsletter and download the Organic Price Comparison Cheat Sheet FREE! You’ll also get our natural, green lifestyle tips and tricks delivered to your inbox each Sunday, complete with deals too hot to miss. Don’t like it? No problem. You can unsubscribe in a click.