Have you cooked quinoa before? If so, then you know the secret to getting great tasting quinoa is to thoroughly rinse it before cooking. This removes the coating that has a soapy taste. Rinsing your quinoa every time is the best way to ensure the tastiest salad.
The 21 Day Sugar Detox Level One allows some grains on its plan. One of the grains it allows is quinoa.
My goal with this sugar detox is to load up on healthy foods. Kale is one of those healthy foods I’ve been targeting. I came up with this delicious Apple, Quinoa and Kale Salad Recipe to be both Sugar Detox Level one compliant and as a way to eat lots of great kale!
I’ve been making this salad so big, I have to take breaks while eating it. I’ll eat a third then need to refrigerate it before I can tackle more. Big salad? Oh yes.
This salad is so big you could easily divide it into 2 servings as a side salad. Or eat it yourself in shifts like I do!
If you aren’t on a sugar detox, here are some optional additions to this Apple Quinoa Kale salad:
- 2 teaspoons honey to the dressing
- Crumbled goat cheese or
- Crumbled blue cheese
Apple, Quinoa and Kale Salad Recipe
- 1 green apple chopped
- 1/2 cup cooked and chilled quinoa
- As much kale as you think you'll eat
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
For the dressing:
- Whisk together olive oil, lemon juice and zest, mustard, and salt and pepper.
For the salad:
- In a large bowl, combine apple, quinoa and kale.
- Toss with dressing. Serve.
If you enjoy this salad, you really must try Grain-Free Cauliflower Tabbouleh!