I can’t wait to share with you the recipe for these amazingly delicious whole-grain brownies.
Cooking with whole wheat flour can be tricky. It’s heavy taste doesn’t always lend itself well to desserts. So if you are serving a whole grain dessert to what we call a “White Bread Eater,” they can immediately detect that something about the dessert resembles a health food.
This recipe can deceive anyone into thinking it is just a brownie recipe. It is that tasty!
I know that nothing seems easier than making brownies out of a box. But I think you’ll find these brownies take about the same amount of time to whip up, and the results are better than boxed.
About the optional add-ins. I personally feel nuts have no place in brownies. However, if you disagree, you are welcome to add them. You’d be wrong. But you can add them. 😉
A quick note about the butter. If you are vegan, or need a dairy substitute, you can use an equal amount of melted coconut oil with the same delicious results.
Amazingly Delicious Whole-Grain Brownies
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup shredded coconut flakes unsweetened
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease an 8x8x2 inch pan.
- Stir together eggs and melted butter.
- In a small bowl, stir together the sugar and vanilla.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- Start by adding the eggs and butter to the flour mixture. Next, stir in the sugar mixture. Stir just until all ingredients are moist. Batter will be stiff.
- If you are adding nuts or coconut flakes, carefully stir them in.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
Do you like nuts in your brownies?