At this time of year, lots of people are talking about what you should take OUT of your diet. But what should you put IN it? How about a nice cup of healthful herbal tea?
Herbal teas aren’t actually tea – meaning they don’t come from the tea plant. Instead, herbal teas come from the leaves, fruits, bark, roots, seeds, nuts or flowers of almost any edible plant. Herbal teas have been brewed for centuries because of their medicinal and health benefits.
Tea is the second most popular beverage in the world. If you aren’t drinking it, here are 7 healthful benefits you are missing:
1. NO CALORIES – Herbal teas are a great way to hydrate without adding any additional calories. There are so many flavor combinations – from fruit blends to chocolate blends – you are sure to find an herbal tea that you enjoy.
2. LOWERS BLOOD PRESSURE – Studies have proven drinking three cups of hibiscus herbal tea a day was enough to lower systolic blood pressure in high blood pressure patients.
3. TREATS COLDS AND FLU – Herbal teas contain many anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties. Look for teas or tea blends containing ginger, lemon, honey, ephedra, goldenseal, cinnamon, echinacea, peppermint or hyssops. These are the herbs known to relieve cold and flu symptoms such as sore throat, coughing, nasal congestion, sinus pain and body aches.
4. AIDES IN A GOOD NIGHT’S SLEEP – If you have occasional sleep problems, find an herbal tea containing chamomile, lime blossom, valerian or St. John’s wort. These herbs can help relax the nervous system and induce a good night’s sleep.
5. RELIEVES NAUSEA – If you are looking to relieve nausea, find an herbal tea containing ginger, lemon balm, red raspberry leaf or peppermint leaf. These are all recommended by the American Pregnancy Association to relieve nausea.
6. RELIEVES DEPRESSION – Herbal teas containing the plant lemon verbena are believed to have a calming effect on the nerves, which in turn can relieve depression symptoms. Lemon verbena is also known to relieve PMS symptoms.
7. HELPS SKIN LOOK MORE RADIANT – Rooibos teas, or red teas, are high in antioxidants and healthy vitamins and minerals. Drink rooibos teas to help promote healthy skin, as well as teeth and bones.
Make 2013 the year you get brewing. What herbal teas will you be brewing?