How to Grill Zucchini
Grilled Zucchini is so simple to make but the taste is out of this world delicious. When your garden becomes overrun with squash, this is a great way to cook it and use it up!
If you are looking for the simplest way to cook up a bunch of zucchini, look no further than your grill. Zucchini grills up easily and results in a tasty side – or even main – dish.
How to Grill Zucchini
- Cut the zucchini to about a 1/2 inch thickness either on the diagonal into large rounds, into triangular pieces, or into lengthwise pieces. If you are slicing your zucchini, I suggest using a mandolin for uniform pieces.
- There is no need to peel the zucchini or remove the seeds. Peeling is a personal preference.
- Heat the grill to medium high heat.
- Mix 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil with 2 cloves of minced garlic.
- Brush the zucchini with the olive oil and garlic mixture.
- Put the slices directly on the preheated grill.
- Cook until brown on all sides – about 5 – 7 minutes per side. Zucchini should be tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
This is a basic grilling recipe that results in great flavor every time.
However, there may be times when you want to add a bit of a flavor boost to your zucchini before cooking it.
Optional Flavor Boosts for Grilling Zucchini
- Add finely chopped onion and parsley to the olive oil and garlic.
- Or, add finely chopped rosemary and oregano to the olive oil and garlic.
- Or, add about 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar to the olive oil and garlic.
- Omit olive oil and garlic. Mix approximately 1/4 cup miso with a splash of mirin and a tablespoon of sugar. Mix well and baste zucchini during grilling.
- After grilling, you can brush zucchini with a mixture of lemon juice and finely chopped mint.
- While zucchini is still hot, grate fresh Parmesan cheese over it.
Grilled zucchini is excellent served hot directly off the grill. However, if you end up with leftovers, stuff into a pita with some hummus for a delicious sandwich the next day.
Have a favorite way to serve grilled zucchini? I’d love to hear it!
Are You Tired of Processed Crap?
Subscribe Today and Download My Free Healthy Grocery List. It's your cheatsheet to a less processed life. Then, each week, I'll help you take charge of your health by emailing you the best real food recipes and non-toxic DIYs.