Healthy Snack List: 32 Pre-Packaged Five Ingredient Snacks

32 Healthy Snacks

Have you heard of choosing food with five ingredients or less? It comes from Michael Pollen’s Food Rules: An Eater’s Manual . Here’s what it says:

“Don’t eat anything with more than five ingredients, or ingredients you can’t pronounce.”

That rule is very simple when it comes to eating whole foods. Apples, almonds, apricots, artichokes…. you know the whole foods I’m talking about. Single ingredient, unprocessed.

The rule becomes more complicated as you look at all the snack food out there. So many tempting, delicious choices. Can you really buy pre-packaged snacks and still follow the rule?

A whole food or homemade whole food snack is always going to be the dietary gold standard. I strive to get there 90% of the time. The other 10% of the time, well, life is getting lived, and a pre-packaged snack is awfully handy.

After all, sometimes we just don’t remember to grab an apple before we leave the house. Having a bag of Peeled Snacks in the car or in your purse can keep you on the whole foods track.

Use this list to think about how you can substitute whole food pre-packaged snacks for some of your favorite processed foods. For example, replace the Doritos, which contain ultra processed ingredients such as monosodium glutamate, maltodextrin, and artificial colors, with a healthier snack choice like Eden Spicy Pumpkin Seeds, which contain only organic dry roasted pumpkin seeds, organic tamari, organic garlic, and organic cayenne pepper.

I spent a LOT of time looking at labels and looking for snacks that meet the 5 ingredient or less standard. Those 5 ingredients had to be ingredients that were instantly recognizable.

Some of these you’ll be able to find at your local grocers, some are more specialty and may require a trip to the natural grocers, and others you might find just easiest to order and have at the ready. I’ve linked to everything on Amazon so you can check out the ingredients for yourself, and you can stock your pantry easily.

Healthy Snack List

Alive & Well Kale Krunch, Quite Cheesy

Annie Chun’s Seaweed Snacks

Bare Fruit 100% Organic Baked Dried Fruit

Brown Rice Snaps

Cat Cora’s Kalamata Olives

Caveman Cookies

Coconut Butter

100% Organic Raw Cacao Bliss, Raw Chocolate Coconut Butter

Dry Roasted Edamame

Eden Organic Dry Roasted Spicy Pumpkin Seeds

Envirokidz Organic Gorilla Munch  (good in trail mixes!)

Funky Monkey Snacks

Foods Alive Golden Flax Crackers

GoGo Squeez Applesauce

Go Raw Freeland Super Cookies

Go Raw Sprouted Pumpkin Seeds

Go Raw Sprouted Sunflower Seeds

Just Tomatoes Just Peas

Justin Nut Butters

Larabars ~ There are quite a few to choose from, so I just picked out those with the least ingredients

Lundberg Organic Brown Rice Cakes

Nature’s Path Organic Whole O’s (another great addition to trail mixes!)

Nutty Bean White and Yellow Naked Chickpeas

Orgran Toasted Buckwheat Crispibread

Peeled Snacks

Real Foods Organic Corn Thins

Sensible Foods Organic Sweet Corn Crunch Dried Snacks

Stretch Island Fruit Strawberry Fruit Leather

Sunbutter Sunflower Seed Spread

Suzie’s Whole Grain Thin Cakes, Puffed Brown Rice Crackers

Wedderspoon Premium Manuka Honey

Wonderful Pistachios

Once you have your stock of healthy snacks, why not set up a DIY Snack Station for the kids? Happy Snacking!

If you choose to order at – where I know all of these snacks are available – make sure you never overpay by reading this:

save at Amazon

PS ~ I would love to add to this list, so if you have a product that belongs on this list, please leave it in the comments.

No Time to Eat Healthy?

Snack prep


I have a quick and easy solution for you. It's a real life meal prep plan. You'll have just 4 recipes to prep each week that include nutritious breakfasts, snacks and 2 meals. These are nutritious head starts to your week to help make healthy choices easy.


We won't send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time. Powered by ConvertKit


  1. Barb @ Frugal Local Kitchen says:

    Great list! I’m going to pass this along to my school in my quest to encourage them to provide healthy snacks for the kids to buy at snack time.

  2. Barb, I’m glad my list could help. Thanks for thinking of it to pass to the school. Andrea

  3. Just awesome!! Such a helpful list, we are planning a long car trip and these are definitely going in the car with us 🙂 Thank you!

  4. That’s It bars.

  5. I have to confess, I think most of these just sound gross. (We’ve been more-or-less whole foods for over 10 years, too, so it’s not as if we’re unaccustomd to real food.) That’s the difficulty, I think, with keeping snacks healthy and handy. If all the healthy stuff looks, sounds, and TASTES like “health food,” nobody wants to eat it.

Leave a Comment